About a year and a half later, the amazing Inkscape community has released a bug fix update that patches all kinds of good stuff. Inkscape.org states:
“This is the fifth bug fix release for 0.48 and it contains over 60 bug fixes to improve stability and functionality on all platforms”
• Adobe Illustrator SVG files containing entities can be loaded again.
• Support for Poppler 0.26.
• Support for Boehm-GC 7.4.0 and later.
• Several crash bugs were fixed.
• 64-bit compilation is now possible on Windows.
• Not as awesome as 0.91.
Of course, the update is available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
Visit: http://inkscape.org/en/download/ to grab this update!